The new year is right around the corner. What changes are you going to make in your marketing in 2014? What changes are you going to make in your life?
Everyone believes they need to make big changes but the only big change you need is the change to your thinking.
Change your thinking and you will automatically change dozens of small things you do every day. That’s because action follows thinking.
What follows are 17 things to think about before next year. Some are about marketing. Some are about life. To me, many are interchangeable. All of them can make a big difference for you in 2014.
Things to Think About in 2014:
- Why? Why are we doing things the way we are doing them? Why are we using that media? That message? Who suggested it? Are we testing it?
- Think of each day as a gift. What you do with that gift is up to you. Will you waste it? Make it productive? Enjoy it?
- What. What is your organization best at doing? Ask your staff. Then ask your customers the same thing.
- Consider that who we are is determined mostly by our environment — until we become aware of this fact — then it’s up to us.
- Big gifts rarely have the impact you desire on clients, friends or family. Appreciation and love are best demonstrated with kindness, a compliment and a smile.
- Of course you should go after the big raise and the big contract — but remember the greatest wealth is good health, a close family and good friends.
- Every time you go to work, work and work hard. A productive day will make the evening and weekend that much, much better.
- Forget the elevator speech until you know your Value Proposition. What do you offer that is truly relevant to your target market, is quantifiable value, and is uniquely differentiating?
- Remember that you can’t eliminate all mistakes, but you can stop repeating them. Are you repeating mistakes?
- Just because something has never been done doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Maybe you were meant to do it.
- If you are the boss, you are ALWAYS setting an example. Either a good one or a bad one. Your employees are always watching. So are your customers.
- Share what you learn. Share the credit. Share the success. Take responsibility for the flops.
- Spin sucks. Do not “spin” mistakes. Apologize for them. Do not “spin” bad news and try to make it look good. Put your best foot forward — but be honest. Geez, who raised you?
- Good communication can solve most problems at home, at work and in your community. Good communication starts with listening. Listening starts with caring about the other person.
- A good life has a positive impact on others, even after you are gone. A great life makes your children proud of you and shapes their values.
- Never forget that Business-to-Business is about solving problems. Every business has problems. Especially successful ones. Don’t expect to be hired just because you exist. Look for the problems. Offer solutions.
- Instead of being angry at the prospect that passed on your services, take a fresh look at how you could have better served them. Put yourself in their shoes. Ask what they may be have been looking for and what they were hoping to get from you. You will have a better chance next time if you learn from this time.
My wish for you: May next year and every year be fulfilling for you, your organization and your family.